I have a passion for collecting vintage Star Wars merchandise from the late 70's. Action figures, comics, trading cards etc - anything related to the first Star Wars movie. But why only until 1980? It's not that I don't love The Empire Strikes Back and beyond (I really do), but there is something about that first wave of Star Wars mania that really grips me, back when it was all fresh and exciting...

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Star Wars PSAs

There are several vintage Public Service Announcements that were designed to use characters and settings from Star Wars to reach youngsters and teach them about the dangerous things in life. Two of them featured Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker and one was even set in the famous cantina. Probably nothing new for you guys, but I like to showcase whatever video clips from that era that I can get my hands on.

Childhood Immunization - 1977
The sound is a bit low on this one.



Friends don't let Friends Drive Drunk! - 1979
Good to see those costumes from the film get a dusting off and put to further use.



Anti-smoking.
I don't actually know when this last one was made; some sources say 1980 and others 1982, but I thought I'd put it up as if fits nicely with the other two. Lots of people have pointed out the irony of this one as many of us have seen shots of Anthony Daniels on the set of Star Wars puffing away on the old 'death sticks'. Presumably he quit before filming this. And 'Galaxay?' Who was responsible for that blunder?

No comments: