I have a passion for collecting vintage Star Wars merchandise from the late 70's. Action figures, comics, trading cards etc - anything related to the first Star Wars movie. But why only until 1980? It's not that I don't love The Empire Strikes Back and beyond (I really do), but there is something about that first wave of Star Wars mania that really grips me, back when it was all fresh and exciting...

Friday, February 11, 2011

Tarkin is Back!

I set this blog up purely as a 'retro' showcase of stuff made over 30 years ago, so it was never going to be a 'latest news' type of blog. But every so often I get wind of a little snippet that, although only connected in a small way, hits all my geek buttons and I can't resist sharing.

www.starwars.com have recently revealed that an upcoming character in the current TV series The Clone Wars will be none other than original Star Wars villain; Grand Moff Tarkin!



Now, The Clone Wars is a bit of a sticky point for most old school fans with many dismissing it as little more than an extension of the often derided prequel trilogy. Personally I think it's far better than that. Where the prequel trilogy got bogged down in politics and huge amounts of 'set up', a TV series has much more room to get back to what Star Wars was all about in the first place - swashbuckling, serialized adventures in outer space! Sure, it's all 'Anakin, Obi-wan and Ahsoka' rather than 'Luke, Han and Leia', but a lot more care seems to have been taken to cater to the fans by working in little bridges to the original trilogy such as this recent revelation.

It is not known what Tarkin will be up to in the series (although he seems to be going under the title of 'Captain Tarkin' so it looks like a promotion is on the horizon). I think the character has been terribly underused over the past three decades seeing as he was pretty much the main villain in Star Wars (the one 'holding Vader's leash' so to speak) so I'm glad he's getting a look in now. I honestly thought he would play a major part in the prequels, but was to be disappointed.

It probably won't happen, but I think it would be really cool for Tarkin to appear in a scene alongside Count Dooku, just for the excuse of reuniting Hammer veterans Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing on screen again. I know, I know; it's not really them, but you can see where I'm going with this right?

3 comments:

chunky B said...

I saw this this morning and wonder what this holds for more animated style OT characters. I know a lot of people do not dig the animated style of the CW, but I like it and love when things like Jawas and Droids that we know and love show up in the cartoon. This just begs for more OT characters to me.

Chris Thorndycroft said...

I agree. I love recognising OT stuff done in the new CW style. There's been quite a few cantina aliens popping up in the series so far.

It would be great to see some more OT characters as long as they don't overdo it. There was talk a while back about a young Han Solo making an appearence. While I think that would be interesting to see, I'd rather they left some things alone. Not every character needs to meet or have multiple connections to other characters. That just makes the SW universe seem smaller.

chunky B said...

I agree on the Han Solo appearance, some things just need to be left to the imagination, I wasn't big on young Greedo and Chewie showing up in the prequels myself.

I have seen some of the species from the cantina pop up in CW as well, I totally want a Hammerhead figure in this animated style.

Even better would be a animated show set in the OT time with "guest appearances" form OT characters.